Chicago sees its fair share of traffic and its fair share of dangerous truck accidents. The semis that share our roads with us are massive, and when they are involved in accidents, those accidents are among the deadliest and most violent on our roadways. If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in a truck accident, it’s time to consult with an experienced truck accident lawyer in Chicago.
Truck Accidents and Liability
While truck drivers are obviously responsible for driving their rigs safely through traffic and are often responsible for truck accidents, that is not the end of the liability issue when it comes to truck accidents. Consider the following:
- The Trucking Company – The trucking company carries significant responsibilities that include hiring safe and experienced truck drivers, maintaining a safe fleet of rigs, implementing and adhering to policies that promote safer trucking, hiring experienced truck mechanics, and supplying them with the tools and parts necessary to maintain safely running trucks, and more.
- The Truck Manufacturer – Truck manufacturers build the big rigs that roam our highways, and when they incorporate faulty parts or faulty designs, or they implement faulty manufacturing practices, it makes dangerous truck accidents far more probable.
- The City or Municipality – Sometimes, a poorly maintained road can cause or contribute to life-threatening truck accidents, and the city or municipality that’s responsible for the road’s maintenance can be held accountable.
Truck Driver Negligence
Truck accidents are often precipitated by truck driver negligence, which can come in a wide array of dangerous forms that include:
- Distraction – Distraction is one of the most prevalent forms of driver negligence (and one of the most dangerous).
- Impairment – Every driver knows the dangers associated with driving while impaired, and there is absolutely no excuse for a truck driver to do so.
- Exhaustion – The physical effects of exhaustion are very similar to those of impairment, and this is exactly why there are highly specific restrictions related to hours of service for professional drivers like truckers.
- Excess Speed – Excess speed makes any resulting accident that much more dangerous, and when the vehicle involved is a massive truck, the danger grows exponentially.
- Aggression – When you see an aggressive driver in your midst, you immediately recognize the inherent danger. When that driver is behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler, your best option is to pull over and alert the authorities. Aggressive driving tends to encompass multiple dangerous acts in one driving stint, including zipping in and out of lanes, tailgating, refusing to yield the right-of-way, passing illegally, ignoring traffic signs and lights, and provoking other motorists.
Reach Out to an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer in Chicago Today
The physical, financial, and emotional damages associated with truck accidents tend to be immense. That’s why the dedicated truck accident lawyers at Saks, Robinson & Rittenberg, Ltd., in Chicago are committed to championing your rights in support of your rightful compensation. We’re here to help, so please do not hesitate to contact us for more information today.