Car accidents are one of the most common types of personal injury cases – for the simple reason that they are so prevalent. Driver negligence – in its many forms – is often at the heart of these dangerous accidents. If you’ve been injured in a car accident that was caused by the negligence of another motorist, it’s time to consult with an experienced auto accident lawyer in Chicago.
Every motorist owes everyone else on the road a duty of care that includes driving safely to accommodate their safe passage. While driver negligence can come in nearly limitless forms, the following are the most common (and the most dangerous):
- Driver Distraction – Distracted drivers are reaching epic proportions, and they are just as dangerous as they are numerous. While there are plenty of distractions to go around, texting is the worst of a dangerous lot. When a driver texts, his or her thoughts, sight, and hands are all engaged in one dangerous activity that manages to encompass all three categories of distraction at one time. The number of distraction-related fatalities is on the rise.
- Driver Impairment – The statistics are in (and have been for some time), and they demonstrate that there is absolutely no safe place for impairment behind the wheel. Impaired drivers experience decreased impulse control, decreased motor control, and diminished cognitive functioning. Any one of these impairments can prove deadly behind the wheel.
- Driver Exhaustion – Most of us recognize that we’re less well able to perform tasks successfully when we’re sleep-deprived. Unfortunately, some motorists fail to take the dangers associated with drowsy driving seriously enough, and they continue to endanger the rest of us.
- Speed – The danger associated with excess speed is twofold. Motorists who speed excessively are more likely to cause dangerous accidents, and those accidents are more likely to be fatal.
- Aggression – The hallmark of aggressive driving is excess speed, but aggressive drivers rarely stop there. Aggressive drivers like to take their aggression out on the rest of us, and as a result, they tend to engage in multiple forms of aggression in any one aggressive driving incident. Such aggression can include weaving in and out of traffic; passing illegally (including on the right or even on the shoulder); tailgating; attempting to engage other motorists via obscene gestures, incessant honking, or anything else; stopping suddenly, erratically, and for no reason, and more.
Although most of us take driving very seriously and do our best to help keep our highways and byways safe, there are plenty of negligent drivers out there who refuse to follow suit.
Look to an Auto Accident Lawyer In Chicago for the Experienced Legal Counsel You Need
At Saks, Robinson & Rittenberg, Ltd., in Chicago, our dedicated auto accident lawyers are committed to skillfully advocating on behalf of your best interests and the compensation you need to reach your most complete recovery. Our savvy legal team has the experience, legal know-how, and drive to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information today.