Driving comes with a host of important responsibilities that include adhering to the rules of the road and driving safely. Negligent motorists who don’t take these responsibilities seriously often cause dangerous accidents. If you’ve been injured by such a driver, you need one of the best Chicago car accident attorneys on your side.
Car Accidents Are Exceptionally Dangerous
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shares statistics that highlight exactly how dangerous car accidents are, including:
- Car accidents lead to about three million injuries every year in the United States.
- There are more than 100 fatal car crashes every day.
- The U.S. experiences about $75 in losses (medical expenses and lost productivity) related to car accidents every year.
The majority of car accidents are caused by driver negligence.
Negligent Drivers Are Out There
The fact is that many drivers fail to live up to their responsibility to operate their vehicles safely, and driver negligence can come in multiple dangerous forms that include:
- Impairment – Drivers know that it is illegal and incredibly dangerous to get behind the wheel while impaired. Nevertheless, plenty continue to do so.
- Distraction – The only way to drive safely is to pay attention to the road ahead, and motorists who allow their attention to focus on anything other than this are dangerously distracted drivers. Distractions are classified as manual distractions that engage one’s hands, visual distractions that engage one’s sight, and cognitive distraction that engage one’s thoughts – and texting manages to roll all three of these into one mega-distraction. Smartphones are not only the most dangerous distraction but are also one of the most common.
- Speed – Excess speed plays a prominent role in far too many deadly traffic accidents.
- Exhaustion – Drivers who are drowsy experience some of the same physical effects that impaired drivers do, which makes them dangerous drivers. When exhausted, drivers can’t perform at peak, and they increase the risk that dangerous car accidents will ensue.
- Aggression – Aggressive drivers drive dangerously on purpose (by taking their aggressions out through their driving). Aggressive drivers tend to engage in more than one dangerous driving practice on any given stretch of road, and these can include speeding (the hallmark of aggressive driving), weaving in and out of traffic, honking incessantly (without purpose), dangerously attempting to engage other motorists, tailgating, and much more. You know an aggressive driver when you meet one on the road, and you are well-advised to allow them as much space as possible – and to call the authorities when it’s safe to do so.
Turn to One of the Best Chicago Car Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love has been injured by another motorist’s negligence, the accomplished Chicago car accident attorneys at Saks, Robinson & Rittenberg, Ltd., are committed to skillfully championing your rights in support of your case’s most favorable resolution. We’re on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information today.